Friday, October 9, 2009

Number 22: What Did I Learn?

How do I plan to keep up with web and library 2.0? That's a good question. For starters, there's what I already do: I follow ALATechSource and LibraryJournal on Twitter. I work in a public library that is a constantly evolving environment, especially on the technology side of things. Lastly, I'm a student. I'm a student in a constantly evolving environment, where I have to take classes that force me to engage with technology. Turning a blind eye isn't really an option for me, like it is for some of my more established coworkers. If I want to be a competitive job candidate in the near future, I especially need to stay on top of changing technological trends.

Looking back on the 23 Things experience, I am not sure if it left me with a way to "keep up" with library 2.0. Web 2.0 is only just now starting to make its presence felt in the libraries I work at. I definitely have a better understanding of more web 2.0 than I did before I started 23 Things. Being honest here- it seems like most of the tools are things I simply don't have time to regularly use in my life. I am already active on facebook and youtube, and looking back on my entries, it seems like most of the time I felt overwhelmed by the possibilities of things I might have to keep up with. That seems to be an emerging point in a discussion we're currently having in 5433.

So, in order to not feel like I'm drowning in a sea of information, I think the best thing for me to do now is to just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm immersed daily in these things; they aren't so much a separate part of my life. The 23 Things were geared towards people who view these types of activities as "separate" from their daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment